Pages

Thursday 31 May 2012

Chapters 1-5 Thoughts!


Hi, this is Adam Appugliesi the owner and creator of this blog on The Great Gatsby.


I have completed 5 Chapters of this novel and I must ensure you it was quite the rollercoaster. Halfway done the book and it is probably one of my favorite books next to Hamlet. The first couple of chapters in this book we are thrown right into the mix of this story with no real background check on the characters which I enjoyed because it keeps you guessing and wondering what are going to happen. When the book describes the eyes of T.J. Eckleburg I am in love with the book at that very moment. Those eyes have such a greater and deeper meaning to them then what the book depicts them as. From what I can only imagine right now I feel as if those eyes resemble something or someone of a greater power that is watching over the people of West/East Egg.

Then the rollercoaster ride really started to get going.  Nick was taken into town with Tom where he was introduced to his mistress. This really caught me off guard and I liked the way the book was headed. Later on in that chapter Tom ends up breaking Myrtles nose because she would repeatedly say Daisy’s name. This is where the book started to take off and I was holding on for the ride.

Now a chapter later we hit a shady part in the novel where Gatsby’s fortune is still not solved. Gatsby threw a party which left me guessing where he knew all these people from and how he could afford to throw such lavish events. Then the book took a turn in to Weirdviille and the population was Gatsby. Gatsby would not attend his own parties but just watch them from the outside in as if he had no purpose to be involved. It seemed as if he Gatsby’s parties had a greater meaning to them but I wasn’t quite sure into later on in the novel as to why he did the things he did.

In my eyes chapter 4 & 5 are the best parts of the book. This is where the whole book is blown open and anything could happen. The idea of Gatsby being involved in Organized Crime is brought into play as well as the love story between Gatsby and Daisy has been introduced. 

- Adam Appugliesi

No comments:

Post a Comment